The History of Slippery Rock Golf Club & Events Center
Slippery Rock Golf Club & Events Center (previously: Oakview Golf Club), has been one of Butler county’s best kept secrets, until now! December 2019 marks the milestone when family members of Ralph A. Nicholas, the original founder and visionary of the golf course, purchased the course to reclaim its family ties.
The vision of the golf course truly began after Ralph A. Nicholas borrowed $250 from a life insurance policy and drove his mortgage lender out to the land he was seeking to purchase and develop. They both dodged the underbrush on what is now Fairways 6 & 7, and where Ralph said to his lender, “Mr. Anderson, this is going to be the golf course.” And he said back to him, “Ralph, do you really think so?”
On May 17, 1925, Mr. Nicholas purchased three farms, which included the entire area of what is now the golf course. By 1928, the golf course’s original front 9 holes were designed, constructed and readied for play by F.T. Stafford from Cleveland, OH.
Despite enduring the Great Depression, the local community organized The Slippery Rock Country Club in 1938, and sold 125 memberships, or “shares” as they were then referred to, for $125 per share which allowed families their first year of golfing privileges.
In 1945, just as WWII was coming to an end, the golf course was purchased by Wynn Tredway who was fondly referred to as “industrious and honest.” He repaired the original 9 holes, prospered and then purchased additional land from Mr. Nicholas for the sole purpose to design and buildout the back 9 holes, to complete the course you find today. Mr. Tredway quickly recognized the growing popularity of golf, and he went on to design and construct many more golf courses.
In 1955, Mr. Tredway sold the golf course to Armco Steel and they renamed it Armco Park Golf Club. For 47 years, Armco Steel’s main purpose was to provide recreational facilities for their employees. Then in 2004, the facility was bought by ACC Holdings, LP, and was renamed Oakview Golf Club.
Today, the golf course and clubhouse are under the leadership and management of Dawn, Gary, Eric, Julie, Illyanna & Max Prebula, all kin to the original founder and visionary, Ralph A. Nicholas. The Prebula’s are determined to keep Ralph’s vision alive and well by making the course and clubhouse a location for friends, family and neighbors to gather and play.
The semi-private golf club located in Slippery Rock, PA, offers an excellent golf course at the best rates in its class. In addition to the well-groomed fairways and greens, you will find a pro shop, driving range, 19th hole bar and banquet facilities that hold up to 300 people for special and private events. Now under the new management of the Prebula family, expect a new restaurant & lounge opening Spring 2020. Follow our social pages to stay informed of all the new developments to come!